Welcome to the Scotland County Department of Public Health Website! The Scotland County Department of Public Health provides public health clinical services, environmental health services and animal control services to the residents of Scotland County. Our mission is to preserve and protect the health of the citizens of Scotland County through education, prevention, and the promotion of healthy living, provided by staff committed to community services and quality care.
Hours of Operation Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
In The News
2013 National Public Health Week – April 1-7th 2013
Public Health has a role in all of our lives; similarly, we each have a role in bringing the lessons of public health and prevention to life! Even the smallest steps can make a big difference.
Please join Scotland County Department of Public Health in celebrating National Public Health Week (NPHW). This year during NPHW, we are concentrating on two common threads: Public Health and Prevention. This year’s theme – “Public Health is ROI: Save Lives, Save Money.” ROI indicates the return on investments. Supporting evidence-based public health programs will result in healthier communities and reduced cost in treating diseases.
This year’s daily themes are:
- Monday – Ensuring a Safe, Healthy Home for Your Family – Promoting life-saving steps people and families can take to build a healthy home such as installing smoke alarms or creating a household emergency preparedness plan.
- Tuesday – Providing a Safe Environment for Children at School – Raising awareness of the links between good health and academic achievement and how schools can play a big role in improving children’s health.
- Wednesday – Creating a Healthy Workplace – Teaching communities how public health works for them, especially in preventing illness and injury on the job. Promoting wellness in the workplace – it’s good for employees, employers and the bottom line.
- Thursday – Protecting You While You Are on the Move – Good health is not stationary – it follows us from place to place. Promoting safe traveling practices and educating on the link between smart transportation planning and opportunities for safe, outdoor physical activities.
- Friday – Empowering a Healthy Community – Public Health’s most important partners in achieving better health are the communities we serve. Engaging and empowering communities with the tools and resources to lead the movement for a healthier America.
National Public Health Week (NPHW) is a United States health awareness event backed by the American Public Health Association (APHA). The event aims to highlight public health achievements and also improve the general health of Americans by educating the public about various health issues and how they can live longer lives. After all, we are all living examples of the public health return on investment!
Links and Downloads