Registering a Birth
When a child is born in Scotland County, the child's birth must be registered with the Deputy Registrar within ten (10) days.
Registering the birth of a child born at a hospital
- If your child is born in the hospital (or birthing center) in Scotland County, the child’s birth will be registered by the hospital.The hospital will give you a form called the “Verification of Facts.” Please review this form carefully to make sure all of the information is correct. If there are any errors, let the hospital know right away so that the information can be corrected before the record is sent to Scotland County’s Vital Records.
Registering the birth of a child born at home
- If your child is born at home in Scotland County, your child’s birth must be registered by someone who was at the birth. (A witness can be anyone 18 years or older who was at the child’s birth.) If a licensed midwife was at the birth, she will register the child's birth. If not, any of the following people who were present during the birth can register the child's birth:
• Another relative of the child
• Any other person who was at the child’s birth
Scotland County’s Vital Records registers home births in our office by appointment only. Appointments are available Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. All of the following people must come to the appointment:
• The child• The mother
• The person registering the child's birth (witness – see above)
Instructions for registering a home birth
You need to:
- Fill out the Parent's Worksheet for Child's Birth Certificate. You may print out the form, fill it out and fax it to 910-277-2450. Once we have received this form, we will call you to schedule your appointment.
- Fill out and bring the paperwork listed below to your appointment:
- A valid photo ID for the mother and the person who is registering the birth (witness)
- Mother's Verification Checklist
- Proof of pregnancy – certification from a doctor or licensed midwife or Affidavit of pregnancy
- Affidavit of birth information for home births (certifier's statement)
- Proof of residence (see Mother's Verification Checklist above)
Welcome to Scotland County
Stay connected with your community
Tue Dec. 12
Thu Dec. 14